Whether you want to replace your sleeper sofa mattress because it is worn out or because it is uncomfortable, the choices can be overwhelming. The best way to decide which sofa mattress will work best in your situation is to understand the positives and negatives of different mattress materials.
Latex Sofa Bed Mattress
– If you prefer a firm mattress, latex makes a good choice.
– Latex is considered one of the more environmentally friendly choices.
– Can be manufactured as a synthetic, rather than natural latex. Synthetic latex is often made with low quality materials.
– Besides being the most expensive version of sofa bed mattresses, they are more difficult to locate and purchase as well.
Air Over Coil
– It is possible to adjust the firmness level of these mattresses to your preferences.
– Air mattresses are thicker than traditional mattresses, putting more room between the person sleeping and the sleeper sofa mechanism.
– Like other types of air mattresses, air over coil replacement sofa bed mattresses can be temperamental. Faulty air valves and air bladders and microscopic holes that keep the mattress from holding air are all too common.
– It takes longer to set up and take down the bed than with a more traditional mattress.
– Air over coil mattresses are more expensive than many other choices.
– They are easily damaged. Unfortunately, you often don’t realize it is damaged until you are ready to inflate the mattress for use.
– Coil mattresses are the most common type of replacement mattress, so are available in a range of sizes.
– They’re usually more affordable.
– These mattresses are generally not very comfortable. There is typically less than an inch of padding over the coils, and the mattress itself isn’t very thick, so it doesn’t provide much protection from the sleeper mechanism. For more information on the shortcoming of spring couch mattresses click here.
Memory Foam Mattress
– The medium-firm support of memory foam makes it comfortable for most sleepers.
– They don’t transfer motion, so you won’t disturb your partner when you get out of bed.
– To fit into the folding mechanism properly, sleeper sofa mattresses need to be around 4″ to 5″ thick. Memory foam mattresses need to be 2″ thick to create the contouring feeling. Therefore, you’ll only have 2″ to 3″ of room left for your support foam. The thickness of the support foam must be maximized so that you and your guests won’t feel the bar while you’re sleeping on your sleeper sofa mattress. So, it’s recommended to invest in a mattress that’s made entirely out of support foam. You can read more on this subject in our other article: “Memory Foam Sleeper Sofa Mattresses and Why They Are a Bad Idea”.
– Some sleepers find the mattress holds heat in, making them uncomfortably warm overnight.
– They can produce a bad chemical smell, which some find disturbing.
– They mold to the shape of your body, making it more difficult to get out of bed.
– Memory foam mattresses are a more expensive choice than many other options.
Foam Sleeper Sofa Mattress
– Foam mattresses provide excellent support without the discomfort of coil springs.
– These mattresses are priced very affordably, making them a comfortable and economical choice.
– When it comes to the firmness or softness of foam sleeper sofa mattresses, there are various options (the Indentation Force Deflection is the measure of firmness – IFD).
– Foam reduces motion transfer, so when one partner moves or gets out of bed, the other partner is less likely to be awakened.
– Foam mattresses are not quite as luxurious as memory foam, but this is reflected in the price point.
Selecting a replacement sofa bed mattress is an investment, but with a little research, you can choose one that improves your sleeping experience. Choosing a mattress that is comfortable and easy to sleep on will pay for itself by allowing you to host friends and family, rather than sending them to a hotel. By purchasing a quality replacement mattress, you can be sure it will last many years.