Getting a good night’s sleep is important for health and well-being. If you are not accustomed to getting enough sleep, you are missing out on a valuable health benefit. Not only that, sleep deprivation is dangerous, no matter who you are. When you drive after getting too little sleep, you put yourself, your loved ones and others at risk for an accident. If you work in a job where you provide medical care or operate dangerous machinery, you also endanger yourself and others when you don’t sleep well. Not getting adequate sleep can leave you feeling tired, grumpy, depressed and irritable. When you don’t get enough sleep, your metabolism will not be at its best, meaning that you will not burn fat and calories efficiently, which can lead to weight gain. Simply put, not getting enough sleep can lead to health problems and a poor quality of life. If you are in need of a good night’s sleep, consider the following sleep related New Year’s Resolutions to improve your health.
Establish a New Sleep Routine for a New Year
You won’t get better or more sleep if you keep the same routine, right? So try including the following in your daily sleep routine starting January 1st:
1. A healthy sleep routine involves going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time every day. You should also carry this habit over into the weekend.
2. Reading a book is another way to wind down and relax before going to bed, however, the book needs to be something that will not cause stress or worry.
3. Make sure the sleeping space is kept uncluttered and free of noise. Clutter can be stressful because it interferes with feng shui or the positive and calming energy of the sleeping space. If you must a have television or radio where you sleep, keep it turned off. If you fall asleep with the noise of a television or radio, it is likely that you will wake up throughout the night.
4. Avoid drinking alcohol or smoking just prior to going to bed as both can interfere with getting a good night’s sleep. The first, while it might make you fall asleep faster, it will also affect your sleep quality in the second part of your sleep cycle. In the case of the latter, you should know that nicotine is actually a stimulant, and you might find falling asleep a harder task after a smoke.
5. Heavy eating near bedtime should be avoided. Why? First of all, this way you’ll prevent gastric distress (such as heartburn and upset stomach), which can make it harder for you to fall asleep. Secondly, having a lot to eat or eating something that takes a lot of time to digest (like meat) right before going to bed will negatively impact the quality of your sleep: while you’re trying to get a peaceful sleep, your organism will be occupied with digestion, which will hinder your restfulness.
Start the New Year off with a New Mattress
Wherever you sleep, your body needs the comfort and support necessary to allow you to sleep well; thus. you owe it to yourself to rest on a good mattress. If your mattress is the barrier between you and quality sleep, start the New Year off with a new one. Look for a good-quality replacement mattress.
Remember–adequate sleep will benefit you in several ways. It can help you stay healthy, reduce stress and allow you function in an alert and safe manner throughout your day. So put these things on your New Year’s Resolution list and stick to it! Happy New Year! 🙂